Top 10 Goalkeeping Blunders!
Okay, hands up: who hasn't seen this goalkeeping howler from the J-League yet?
Even if you're a keeper yourself, it's still funny to laugh at - and it got us thinking in the office of other spectacularly bad examples of goalkeeping.
So, you guessed it: we've decided to put together a list of the top 10 goalkeeping clangers! We could have obviously filled the list with Heurelho Gomes gaffes alone, but it's only a top 10, not a top 50. Here are some of the clumsiest moments from a whole host of different keepers:
1) Cocky Colombian goalkeeper, Rene Higuita, attempts a cheeky backheel past Cameroonian predator Roger Milla in the second round of the 1990 FIFA World Cup. Milla netted to give Cameroon a 2-1 victory and set up a tie with England in the quarter final.
2) Aston Villa stopper - or scorer in this case - Peter Enckleman suffered from his casual control in the fiesty derby against Birmingham City in 2002. The Blues won 3-0.
3) Who can forget Robert Green's blunder from last year's 2010 World Cup game against the Yanks? Clearly not Capello, as Green hasn't played a minute since!
4) We love a penalty shootout, naturally, when it's not involving our own beloved team! Check out this keeper's celebration when he think he's won the game for his club.
5) Of course, this list wouldn't be valid without a classic Paul Robinson error. At least Gary Neville bagged his only international goal in Croatia's 2-0 win over The Three Lions.
6) Fabian Barthez managed to hand not one, but two goals to Thierry Henry, arguably the deadliest striker ever to have graced the Premier League. Henry 'va va voomed' to ensure The Gunners ran out 3-1 winners back in 2001.
7) Shay Given is proof that even the classiest keepers can be prone to the odd fluff up, when Newcastle faced Coventry City back in 1997. Dion Dublin took advantage to give the Sky Blues an early lead in the 2-2 draw.
8) Former Manchester United keeper, Massimo Taibi, among the original generation of goalkeeping liabilities, fails to hold Southampton's Matt Le Tissier's shot in a 3-3 draw. Fergie was spoilt for choice, with Mark Bosnich and Taibi is two main keepers at the time.
9) So technically it's not a mistake, but everyone apart from referee Mark Clattenburg and his assistant Rob Lewis can see Manchester United's Roy Carroll has had an absolute nightmare here as he struggles to dig out Spurs' Pedro Mendes drive from between the sticks. The goal wasn't given and the game ended 0-0 back in 2005.
10) Okay, we couldn't resist. Here is Gomes doing what he does best, on this minor occasion against Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League earlier this year.
Also available from ZOO
Want to have sex tonight? On ZOO No Strings there are loads of girls gagging for sexy fun, with no strings attached!
ZOO goes pocket-size (sort of)! You can now download ZOO digital editions on the App Store or Google Play!